Talk:List of fangames
Is it only me who thinks the "completed, in-progress, abandoned" frame menu is a bit obsolete with this list. I'd rather see a direct link to this list when clicked on fangames, just like for mods. Maybe it could be rearranged and merged into one group, still titled "fan-made games" but with choices "Vorticons Mods; Galaxy Mods; Other Mods; Fangames". Tulip 22:05, 13 November 2009 (GMT)
Commander Keen 1 remastered
Shouldn't this be removed from the list? One of the requirements to be on this list is that the game is actually released. And this game does not meet this requirement. Yet. --K1n9 Duk3 18:42, 20 August 2010 (GMT)
- Assuming a release isn't imminent, and there is somewhere else it can be listed instead (like in-progress mods) then feel free to update the list. -- Malvineous 17:48, 23 August 2010 (GMT)
A fangame template?
I think we should have a fangame template, similar to the one for mods. It should have the following items:
- Creator (or Author whatever sounds better)
- Release Date
- Type (Platformer, RPG or something else)
- Created with (CNC, KNP, from scratch)
- OS (Win, DOS, dpmi)
- Download link
- Other Fangames in this Series (like in mod template, ommitted if blank)
- Website (also ommitted if blank)
- Status (Completed, in progress, abandoned)
And the usual title screen/gameplay images. I've got no experience in making such a template, so I put this suggestion out for the more skilled WikiAdmins here.Tulip 22:14, 13 November 2009 (GMT)
Issues downloading Dopefish Lives!
I tried downloading Dopefish Lives!, but whenever I attempt to extract the files, my computer can't extract "dopefish.dat", which is essential for the installation. I just get a "0x80004005: unspecified error". I also tried extracting with WinRar, but that gives me a pop-up message saying the aforementioned file is corrupted. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I the unlucky one? Quinton (talk) 07:21, 30 May 2022 (GMT)
- It's a corrupted file apparently inherited from Spatang/DOS Classics. Fortunately, dopefish.com has the ZIP in non-corrupted form (dfshgame.zip). I'll replace the file by the end of the week. --Grandy02 (talk) 14:28, 30 May 2022 (GMT)
- The corrupted file has been replaced, you should be able to extract it without problems now. --Grandy02 (talk) 10:19, 6 June 2022 (GMT)
"Fangame" or "Fan-game" or "Fan game"?
I've noticed that throughout this wiki, the word "fangame" has been inconsistently spelled, even in category names (e.g. Category:Fangame Screenshots vs. Category:Fan Game Images). I think we should figure out how we should spell "fangame" and stick to it, at least for article and category names. Any thoughts on this? It'd be nice to standardize this word's spelling, especially since I thought of making a couple fangame-related categories (like level maps). Quinton (talk) 08:51, 2 February 2023 (GMT)
- : That's a good hint from you. I have the impression that the variant "fangame" is the most common on the wiki. Therefore, I vote for this spelling. But more importantly, and I agree with you on this, is that it is presented consistently. If you want to make the 'global correction', you have my go to freely choose a version.
- -- Nisaba (talk) 09:18, 2 February 2023 (GMT)
- Whew! That was quite a bit of work there! All fangame-related pages and categories should be using the "fangame" spelling now. Hope nothing broke in the process (I checked the downloads from The Rule of a Yorp's Dinner, and they both worked fine). Not exactly sure what to think about the results; it seems a bit weird and part of me wonders if a different spelling would've been better. But maybe I just feel that way because it's different (I'm so used to seeing it spelled "List of fan-games"...) and of how indecisive I can sometimes be. I'd rather not spend all day constantly changing between different spellings, anyway. I don't know, what do you guys think? Quinton (talk) 23:37, 10 March 2023 (GMT)
Does Mopsy work?
I downloaded Mopsy and then tried it out with DOSBox, but I wasn't able to actually play the game. I got through the title screen and what appears to be the character select screen, but after all that, the game sits at a black screen. For some reason, it flickers a lot in the two aforementioned screens, if that tells you anything. I tried out all of the executable and batch files available, but none of them seemed to make much (if any) of a difference. I also maxed out the DOSBox cycles, but that just made the game go really fast. The instructions text file is in German, a language I haven't learned yet, but if Google Translate were to be trusted, then that file didn't really help me at all.
Did anyone else here try out Mopsy? If so, did it hang up after the first two screens? Is there a way to fix that problem? I'm thinking that at some point I'll try it out on the computer with Windows 98, and see if it will work there or not. Quinton (talk) 07:53, 14 March 2023 (GMT)
- I got it working on DOSBox! All I had to do was turn off the Sound Blaster (I read a PCKF discussion of the game and DaVince provided the solution). While the title and character select screens are in color, the gameplay is black and white, although I don't know if that's intentional or some emulation error (I tried emulating different machines, but all the VGA ones give the same output). I'll definitely get an article started! Quinton (talk) 06:38, 20 August 2023 (GMT)
Should an article be made for Dopefish Lives!?
I just tried out Dopefish Lives!, and it seems to be exactly the same as the single-player mode of Dopefish Forever. The only thing unique to Dopefish Lives! is an easter egg that's found by double-clicking the Dopefish in the title screen, which is just a gallery of images from the Dopefish website. Meanwhile, Dopefish Forever adds quite a few multiplayer modes along with an intro screen. Even the table here calls Dopefish Lives! an early version of Dopefish Forever. My suggestion is that Dopefish Lives! shouldn't have its own article nor entry on the table, but instead be merged with Dopefish Forever. The Dopefish Forever article would only need to have a few things added, such as a download link for the older version. Any thoughts? Quinton (talk) 08:50, 14 March 2023 (GMT)
- Does anyone still have something to say before I do anything? I still think Dopefish Lives and Dopefish Forever should be merged. The only reason I could think of why they are separated in the first place is because of the different names. If they were merged, maybe the download link for Dopefish Lives could be labelled "old version" or "Dopefish Lives"? Quinton (talk) 07:21, 30 August 2023 (GMT)
- The fangame section isn't my main department. I can't really give good advice what needs to be done and so on. However, I do trust your assessments and well-considered actions. If you feel like you have good reasons to merge both articles, you have my vote.
- Just let me know if there is anything to do on the FTP side of things.
- -- Nisaba (talk) 09:26, 30 August 2023 (GMT)