The Adventures of Bunny Basher
The Adventures of Bunny Basher, or just Bunny Basher, is a Keen 1 mod by Benvolio. It is Benvolio's fourth Keen mod, created between summer and autumn 2004. Despite being a Commander Keen mod, it entirely lacks any imagery of Keen or related characters, except for the previews imagery, and the helptext. Bunny Basher is a rabbit, whose in-level sprite is unuasually large, being 32x32 pixels in size. The mod takes place in tunnels, burrows, farmyards and houses. The time setting is arbitrary, as is the location, though it is a generic countryside area as seen in Europe or North America. Bunny Basher is amongst Benvolio's most acclaimed mods. Its sequel is Bunny Basher 2, a mod made in Irish.
- Graphics: custom graphics by Benvolio
- Levels: 16 levels
- includes a modified EGA 16-colour pallette, use of tileinfo, internal level teleporters
- Tools used (incomplete list): ModKeen 1.0, CKPatch, KeenWright, TileInfo, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 and, later, 8.
- In accordance with Benvolio's policies of gameplay, there is no patch restricting the GOD or CT-SPACE cheats.
Bunny Basher's home warren is in great danger. Farmers and their pets prowl around the countryside, setting down snares to trap rabbits, and leaving dogs skulking around all the burrows. Most of the rabbits are incapable of fighting back, so Bunny Basher is the only hope of the warren. So he sets out to find four poisons with which to poison the farmer, his wife, his dog and his cat. Bunny must search in warrens, houses, farmyards, vinyards, factories and storage chambers to find the poisons.
- Mortimer's Ship Parts: four coloured poison bottles
- Rabbit droppings, as ammunition for Bunny
- Keycarrots - open doors
- Short Grass: 100 points
- Slightly Longer Grass: 200 points
- Grass With Flower 500 points
- Orange Carrot: 1000 points
- Lettuce: 5000 points
- The colourful background made out of crosses, as seen on one or two occasions, was inspired by a brief moment in the novel "The Curious Incident of A Dog in the Night-time": "And I wondered whether you could tessellate crosses". The novel was published a relatively short time before this mod was made.
- The mod received inspiration not only from real-life countryside escapades in the coastal sand-dunes of North-West Ireland, but also from the novel "Watership Down" and its classic animated TV series.
Spoiler Warning! This shows the whole level.