Another Helping of Veggies
Keen Dreams 2: Another Helping of Veggies is a Keen Dreams mod by Szemigi released in 2019. It's a spin-off sequel and an enhanced successor to Keen Dreams containing newer veggies, newer fruits, newer levels, and an unofficial precursor of Keen 4 as well.
COMMANDER KEEN in ... "Keen Dreams"
Billy Blaze, eight year-old genius, working diligently in his backyard clubhouse has created an interstellar starship from old soup cans, rubber cement, and plastic tubing. While his folks are out on the town and the babysitter has fallen asleep, Billy travels into his backyard workshop, dons his brother's football helmet, and transforms into...
COMMANDER KEEN --- defender of Earth!
In his ship, the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket, Keen dispenses galactic justice with an iron hand!
Part Two: Another Helping of Veggies
We find Billy discussing vegetables with his mother again. Yesterday he had loudly disagreed with their presence at dinner, but after some thought, had changed his mind.
"You know, mom, I thought about what happened yesterday." said Billy. "I say vegetables aren't stupid at all!"
"Good to hear you say that, dear," said Billy's mom. "You'll be glad to know that dinner tonight is mashed potatoes again, but this time with onion!"
"Cool, can't wait to eat it! I'm not afraid of any veggies anymore!" said Billy enthusiastically.
After finishing the dinner with hearty appetite, Keen was praised by his mom for eating his vegetable.
"This was delicious, mom!" he exclaimed and put his spoon on the plate.
"I'm so proud of you, son!" she said. "Now, it's time for bed. You must rest."
"Ok, mom." Billy said, getting up from the table to get ready for bed.
Soon, Billy was fast asleep.
Suddenly, he woke up and his bed was atop a lower hill. On both sides of his bed were giant potatoes wearing metal helmets and carrying bayonets. Keen looked at them closer, recognizing them from the night before. Would they remember his name? Nonetheless, by not being surprised about the familiar looking veggie beings, Keen started a sly conversation with them.
"Where am I again?" Keen asked. "Because in case you don't know, I love veggies."
"You've been brought here by the Dream Machine," said the first.
"We don't care. You must come with us now, Commander Keen," said the second.
"King Boobus Tuber and Queen Bustling Tuberina are now your masters. So yeah, come with us! Now!" said the third.
With a smirk on the face, Keen reminded them.
"I remember you! Don't mess with me or I'll shoot!" Keen warned them. "Now I love vegetables, but not evil ones like you!"
"How dare you call us evil? We're Tater Troopers!" they said. "Like we said, you come with us to our masters!"
Keen reached under his pillow, retrieved his Vorticon Hyperpistol and he moved it to "Fry to Delicate Brown."
"See ya in McDonalds!" Keen said and he fired at them.
Three BZZAPs later, the sputs had become a bunch of french fries.
"Now they're fried." he laughed.
Just then, an adult ran up to him.
"Oh, Commander Keen! Please, save us from this Dream Machine! These slave chains are tight on my arms!" he moaned.
"Alright, sir! Sounds like a job for me!" said Keen.
"Hurray!" yelled that adult.
Keen put the empty pistol down and started on his quest to defeat Their Vegesties and destroy the Dream Machine!
- 16 regular levels (1 of them is unlockable secret)
- Keen's bored animation sequence either in the left or the right direction
- Keen's ducking movement has only one sprite frame
- If Keen dies, he falls off-screen unlike in Keen Dreams (Note: dying uses two sprite frames, but only one at a time randomly)
- Message window added in each levels, which helps and gives the player clues like Princess Lindsey from Keen 4
- The window frame graphics are different; the ending sequence uses green window frame and the game over one uses red window frame
- Green Flower Power, which destroys the enemy immediately
AgaricusSour Grape replacement.
BaberryPea Brain replacement.
Bean SeedAsparagusto replacement.
Blue TomatoTomatooth replacement.
CantaloupeMelon Lips replacement.
The final boss, a large potato.
KumquatMelon Lips replacement.
Pink OwlCanteloupe Cart replacement.
Queen Bustling TuberinaTater Trooper replacement.
White AsparagustoApel replacement.
White CarrotCarrot Courier replacement.
Chewing Gum200 points.
Chocolate Bar500 points.
French Fries5,000 points.
Passive Eyeball10,000 points.
One extra shot.
Five extra shots.
- 0: New TuberiaRequired?YesPoints0Ammo0 + 0
- 1: Corn ParkRequired?YesPoints??Ammo??
- 5: Mushroom PitRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 6: Pear StreetRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 7: AsparagiaRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 8: Fort TuberiaRequired?YesPoints??Ammo??
- 10: Fruit WoodsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 11: Bean FieldRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 12: Blue Tomato ZoneRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 14: Cave of OwlsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 15: Royal ResidenceRequired?YesPoints??Ammo??
- 16: Lower HillRequired?NoPoints0Ammo0 + 0