Keen Meets the Meats
Keen Meets the Meats is a Keen Dreams mod by DoomJedi, Szemigi, Levellass, troublesomekeen, and VikingBoyBilly. Its title is taken from the planned sequel of Keen Dreams that never went into production.
The story involves Keen awakening in a prison cell on the planet Grund-Bief after he got a stomachache due to too much fast food during his sister's birthday party. Keen has been snatched by an Abduct-o-Beam of the organization known as McZargalds, MZ for short, which is led by the Mad Butcher, serves tenderized children and has lax hygiene standards. Not only that, the food on Grund-Bief is so putrid that it has gained sentience.
The protagonist is initially unarmed, but soon finds a weapon called Ultra-Spicy Arcturian Megameatballs that allows him to reduce enemies to piles of ashes. However, to defeat the Mad Butcher, he has to obtain an even more powerful weapon, namely thousand-year old Bloog Eggs. Keen must explore Grund-Bief to find the necessary Bloog Eggs so that he can confront the Mad Butcher and rewire the Abduct-O-Beam to save the Earth once again.
The production of the mod was announced in September 2013. The first demo version with one level came out in 2015 as a belated Mort Day release. It was soon followed by a slightly modified demo on April Fools' Day, where Keen is changed into a creeping sausage. Another April Fools' demo was released in late April, which already reflects a more advanced state of the mod in terms of graphics. In that "censored edition", Keen is nude, but a certain part of him is covered by a censor bar. The finished mod was made available in May.
Evolution of the Titlescreen
Creatures and other meatifications
Some of the creatures below are new and do not replace anyone.
Tater Trooper replacement
|Quarter-Ton Zargburger with Cheese
Pea Brain replacement
Sour Grape replacement
Melon Lips replacement
|Crazy Little Chef
||The Mad Butcher
King Boobus Tuber replacement
Three demos were released in Mar 16, Apr 1 and Apr 29. The full version was released on May 21, but with multiple memory usage issues that would cause in-game crashes.
2020 unofficial bugfix
K1n9_Duk3 released an unofficial bugfix dated 2020-10-03 with the following changes:
- The sprite data has been optimized with uGrab to reduce memory usage. This lowered the overall memory requirements by about 3k.
- Added a few other patches to avoid the infamous "MM_GETNEWBLOCK" and other memory-related errors.
- Added his screen update patch to get rid of the graphics glitches.
- The jumping Manic Weenie now uses the correct sprite for facing right.
- Moved some state definitions around to restore the Borland copyright string and thus get rid of the null pointer gibberish when the game quits.
- Fixed a bug in the LoadLIBFile code that caused glitches when loading the title screen image under certain circumstances. This can be reproduced in the unpatched version by following these steps:
> run the game > start a new game in any difficulty > end the first level with the F10+E cheat > use the F10+I cheat to get enough rotten eggs > enter the Mad Butcher's Lair level > use the F10+Z cheat or die until you get a game over
- Fixed the savegame difficulty bug for good. The mod already had a patch that tried to deal with this issue, but that patch "fixed" the problem by setting the difficulty to hard (and only when restarting the level or entering a new level).
- The difficulty will no longer be set to hard if the player dies during the boss battle and restarts the level.
- The score box will now update the weapon icon when encountering the boss and when Keen dies during the boss battle and has to restart the level.
- Most levels need a redesign to make them work (better) within the limitations of the Keen Dreams code (i.e. no looking up or down, no ledge grabbing).