Episode 58 - The Ruin of Roib
Episode 58 - The Ruin of Roib is a Keen 4 mod released by Bernie.
It features a humor laden plot involving an aged and disillusioned Commander Keen. The mod is set several decades after the conclusion of Keen's childhood adventures and is the first in a series of two, the sequel being Episode 59 - Underworld Ultimate!. (A joke sequel to both, Keen 60: Kreeg Crisis! also exists.) The graphics, patching and level design got highly praised by the community though the high difficulty, especially on hard mode, is often complained about.
The in game story states:
Thirty five year old William Blaze - drunk, unemployed and treated like dirt by everyone - remembers his space adventures he had as a kind, and decides to transform into Commander Keen for one last time, to blast off into the stars forever. Finding his ship in the local dump he gets distress calls from planet Roib. Fumbling with the ship's controls, forgetting how he flew the damn thing, Keen eventually gets to Roib, but sees that he's too late. Roib is destroyed. Oops...
- Keen roams around the Ruins
- Keen crosses Boom St.
- Keen flies the Crashed Ship
- Keen visits Wreck City
- Keen scales the Abandoned Tower
- Keen drops down the Vault
- Keen contracts the Sick Forest
- Keen swims the Poison River
- Keen needlessly enters the Wasteland
- Keen resorts to ...the Resort
- Keen nears the Border Woods
- Keen finally enters the Last Outpost
- Keen breaks into the Glass Gardens
- Keen squints at Gleem City
- Keen courts the Palace of Roib
- Keen enters the Opening
- Keen finds a secret Dump
- ins.cq PLOH
- Keen finds a forest of bugs
- Keen comes across the Scoreboard
- Keen finds some hermit's shack
- Keen finds the emergency Candy Stores
- Keen happens across the Roib Prophecy Stone
- Keen checks out the rare Bobble Plant
- Keen's Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket
Creatures and other modifications
Poison Slug replacement
Blue Bird replacement
Mad Mushroom replacement
Treasure Eater replacement
Underwater Mine replacement
Council Member replacement
Oracle Janitor replacement
Blue Bird Egg replacement
Known bugs and how to fix them
The v3.0 beta still contains some bugs, including a nasty one in which any level containing the Super Duper enemy is prone to crashing.
To fix that particular bug, and possibly some others, open the ROIB.PAT file in a text editor and copy+paste the text (alternative link) written by K1n9 Duk3) into the line just before the very last line with the "%end" command. Then save the resulting file.