Battle of the Brains
Battle of the Brains, also known as Keen 9, is the third and final episode of the unofficial "The Universe is Toast" trilogy by Ceilick, with the bulk of the modding done by Ceilick, Mink and Tulip, with extensive patching by Levellass and Lemm. Work on the mod began shortly after the release of Dead in the Desert in 2009. It was released in February 2011.
The story continues where Dead in the Desert left off. After escaping the planet Calidune and being reuinted with his friends in the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket, Commander Keen learns of Mortimer McMire's plans to destroy a giant star and incinerating the universe. He also learns that Mortimer has a space station containing several transporters which can be used to teleport to distant worlds and locations. One of these transporters is heavily guarded and believed to lead to Mortimer himself. Keen must travel to four different worlds in order to activate the controls which unlock the doors to the final teleporter so that he can stop Mortimer before the universe is toast!
From the HUB Command Center, Keen can get to several places: Shikadi's homeworld Shikadus I, ice planet Frosthool, Krodacian Genetics Station and mining planetoid Altaire Prime from which he can get to Mortimer's Backyard.
- Keen determinedly searches the Universe!
- Keen lands in the HUB Command Center
- Keen charges into Shivonia City
- Keen investigates VitaCorp
- Keen invades Defense Tower Surth
- Keen addresses Fort Yetisburg
- Keen storms up the Jotundra Mountains
- Keen chills out in Frosthool Station
- Keen combs the Depleted Tunnels
- Keen falls into The Crater
- Keen barges into Altaire Station
- Keen captures the Elevator Access Station
- Keen raids The Krodacian Overlabs
- Keen snoops around Mortimer's Workshop
- Keen races down Defense Hall M
- Keen battles Mortimer McMire in The Warpcore
Creatures and other modifications
Robo Red replacement
Shikadi Master replacement
Little Ampton replacement
Shikadi Mine replacement
|1||0:43||The Universe is Toast||Genius314||the Universe|
|2||1:03||Shikadi Rock Pt. 2||Mr.M||Hub Command Center|
|5||1:14||Gigawaht||Mr.M||Defense Tower Surth|
|6||0:56||Oragami Warrior||XkyRauh||Depleted Tunnels|
|7||1:16||Spaced Out||Mr.M||The Crater|
|8||0:24||Level 315||thehackercat||Altaire Station|
|10||1:53||Quantum Racing||Kosmyn||Jotundra Mountains|
|11||0:49||Airline: Backwater||XkyRauh||Frosthool Station|
|12||0:57||Void||Umbrella||Elevator Access Station|
|13||0:57||Alien Abduction||Genius 314||The Krodacian Overlabs|
|15||0:37||Into the Reactor||Mr.M||Defense Hall M, ending sequence|
|16||1:40||The Leaky Gremlin||XkyRauh||the Warpcore|
|17||0:42||Mischief||thehackercat||Game Over, Highscores|
|18||1:17||A Short Requiem for Mortimer McMire||Mr.M||Scrolling Story, Help Menu|
- Graphics: custom graphics by Ceilick, Mink, Tulip, with contributions from Fleexy, Grelphy, Mr. M, Mobiethian, VikingBoyBilly, and XkyRauh.
- Patching by Lemm and Levellass.
- Levels: 15 levels, 1 secret level, 1 unreachable level (High Scores screen), new worldmap (the Universe) level
- Tools used: ModKeen 2.0.1, CKPatch, Keen: Next, MSPaint, Ck456Tli, KeenWave, KeenScr, IMF Creator, Startext, K5Splode, and WDC.
Version 1 contains patching to disable cheats.
Version 2 is planned to contain:
- Bug fixes
- Cheats reenabled
- Cybloog shot terminates when offscreen
- Additional sun tiles
- Musical modifications to reduce memory problems
- The Keys of Krodacia - The first episode in the unofficial "The Universe is Toast" trilogy
- Dead in the Desert - The second episode in the unofficial "The Universe is Toast" trilogy