Atroxian Realm is a major Keen 4 mod released in its completed form on the 16th of January 2016 by Gridlock. This project, in progress for five years, with multiple collaborators from the Commander Keen community, was dubbed "the largest Keen mod that's been made to date" by its author, a claim that no-one has yet disputed.
This mod follows the story of an adventure involving Commander Keen who is summoned by the Krile, native inhabitants of the planet Krisle. The Krile are in distress, as the robotic Atroxians have invaded their planet and begun to inflict a dark terraforming programme upon Krisle, using their deadly Realm Reactor. This adventure leads Keen through a myriad of rural and industrial settings leading ultimately to the fabled Great Ziggurat.
Creatures and other modifications
Specialties and innovations
|2||0:56||Main Theme||Gamebird||Scrolling text story|
|3||2:33||Atroxian Adagio||Gridlock||Help Screen|
|4||0:56||High Scores||Gamebird||The Keenest|
|5||1:13||Crash Landing||Gridlock||BWB Crash Site|
|6||1:29||Exile of the Krile||Gridlock||Exile of the Krile|
|8||1:39||Dark Swamp||Gamebird||Dark Swamp|
|9||1:58||Murky Marsh||Gamebird||Murky Marsh|
|10||3:02||Larvae Lagoon||Gamebird||Larvae Lagoon|
|11||2:20||Brithom Bog||Gamebird||Brithom Bog|
|12||1:44||Crystallite Caverns||Gamebird||Crystallite Caverns|
|13||1:38||Crystalcomb Hive||Gamebird||Crystalcomb Hive|
|14||2:10||Emerald Canyon||Gamebird||Emerald Canyon|
|15||1:04||Cargo Transit A||Gamebird||Cargo Transit A|
|16||1:57||Atroxian Mines||Gamebird||Atroxian Mines|
|17||2:14||Krilewood Forest||Gamebird||Krilewood Forest|
|18||1:41||Port Atrox||Gamebird||Port Atrox|
|19||2:05||Security Layer||Gamebird||Security Layer|
|20||1:21||Cargo Transit B||Gamebird||Cargo Transit B|
|21||1:35||Atroxian Base||Gamebird||Atroxian Base|
|22||1:51||Hornet Hive||Gamebird||Hornet Hive|
|23||2:44||Crystal Shrine||Gamebird, Gridlock||Crystal Sanctuary|
|24||2:00||Kridonea Gateway||Gamebird||Kridonea Gateway|
|25||0:29||Atroxus Watches||Gridlock||Atroxus Watches|
|26||2:30||Kridonea Ruins (Part 1)||Gamebird||Kridonea Ruins|
|27||2:43||Kridonea Ruins (Part 2)||Gridlock||Kridonea Ruins|
|28||2:32||The Catacombs||Gamebird||The Catacombs|
|29||1:51||Great Ziggurat||Gamebird||The Great Ziggurat|
|30||1:56||The Elder||Gamebird||The Great Ziggurat|
|31||0:27||Atop the Mesa||Gridlock||Atop the Mesa|
|32||2:46||Sky Sanctum||Gamebird||The Sky Sanctum|
|33||1:32||Atroxus||Gridlock||Atroxus scans Keen|
|34||1:47||Battle at the Realm Reactor||Gamebird||Realm Reactor|
|35||1:56||Ending (Part 1)||Gamebird||Ending (Part 1)|
|36||2:40||Ending (Part 2)||Gridlock||Ending (Part 2)|
22 levels are meant to be directly accessed in the game, one is accessed only from another level.
- 0: KrisleKeen searches Planet Krisle!Required?NoPoints0Ammo0
- 1: Dark SwampKeen explores the Dark SwampRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 2: Murky MarshKeen marches into the Murky MarshRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen lurks in the Larvae LagoonRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen climbs through the Crystallite CavernsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen plummets down Emerald CanyonRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen infiltrates the Atroxian MinesRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen attacks the Atroxian BaseRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen sneaks through the Security LayerRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 9: Port AtroxKeen breaks into Port AtroxRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 10: Hornet HiveKeen swarms into the Hornet HiveRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 11: Brithom BogKeen bobs through Brithom BogRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 12: Kridonea GatewayKeen discovers the Kridonea GatewayRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 13: Krilewood ForestKeen enters the Krilewood ForestRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 14: The CatacombsKeen battles through The CatacombsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen reverently enters The Great ZigguratRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 16: Sky SanctumKeen anxiously ascends The Sky SanctumRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 17: Realm ReactorKeen battles Atroxus in the Realm ReactorRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Keen scales the Crystal SanctuaryRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 19: High ScoresRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 20: Kridonea RuinsKeen enters the Kridonea RuinsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 21: Kridonea RuinsKeen continues through the Kridonea RuinsRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 22: Cargo Transit AKeen zips through Cargo Transit ARequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 23: Cargo Transit BKeen zips through Cargo Transit BRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 24: Crystalcomb HiveKeen combs through Crystalcomb HiveRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- 25: BWB Crash SiteKeen returns to the BWB Megarocket Crash SiteRequired?NoPoints??Ammo??
- Utilities used: TED5, The Omegamatic (TOM), Abiathar, CKPatch, ModKeen, KeenGrout, Keengraph, ModID, CK456DTli, Galactile, WDC, IMFCreator, IMFCrush, IMF2MIDI, Startext, TheDraw, KeenWave
- Creator: Gridlock
- Programming: Lemm, K1n9_Duk3
- Music Composition: Gamebird
- Additional Music Composition and Editing: Gridlock
- Story Images: T-Squared
- Main Testing: Fleexy
- Additional Testing: Keenfan, T-Squared, Gamebird, Lemm
- Early Build Patching: Lemm, Levellass
- Programming Assistance: NY00123, Fleexy
- Tools Support: Lemm, Levellass, Fleexy, Mink
- Artwork Contributions: Bubbatom, Ceilick, T-Squared, Gamebird, Mobiethian, Tulip, Preston, Fantomx, DoomJedi, Grimson, Szemi
- Zero X. Diamond is thanked in the credits for inspiring the name Atroxus.